Our Programs are Changing Lives in Indian River County!
The Economic Opportunities Council of Indian River County is a private, non-profit 501c(3) organization chartered in 1965 for the purpose of improving the lives of low income individuals and families in Indian River County.
Today, the Economic Opportunities Council remains the leader in community action in Indian River County. Understanding the lasting change is not created in a vacuum, EOC's role includes coordinating and facilitating community partnerships whereby collective resources are used wisely and services are not duplicated among clients.
It takes all of us working together and focused on the goal before us: transitioning individuals and families from poverty to self-sufficiency. In accomplishing that goal in a meaningful way we are truly helping people and changing lives.
Did You Know?
- That 1 in 6 people live in poverty.
- 1/3 of working Americans do not have enough money to meet basic needs.
- That more than 12% of the U.S. population has income below the federal poverty level in spite of working 2 & 3 jobs.
- 36.6 million people (12.6%) of the U.S. population had family incomes below the federal poverty threshold in 2004. Without government benefits, 61 million people would be poor. (Urban Institute, 2004)
- 19% of children under 18 live in poverty in Indian River County
We Need Your Help
As Federal and State dollars shrink, the number of county residents needing our help continues to rise.
Additionally, 20% of all Head Start funding must be matched with local dollars.
In the past, in-kind contributions made from a small group within the professional and business communities have helped us to meet our community contribution goals. But now, the time has come to appeal directly to caring citizens within our larger community so that we may continue our work.Donate Online Now